Vocal and Instrumental
Vocal and Instrumental Sections – General Conditions
- Nominations can be submitted on the official nomination form at the Conroy Hall on Friday 18th June from 2 pm – 5:30 pm. No Late nominations will be accepted.
DO NOT POST NOMINATIONS.
- All pieces are to be OWN CHOICE for all vocal and instrumental sections, within the guidelines appropriate to each section.
- Competitors are not permitted to repeat a performance of the same item in these sections.
- Own choice material to be handed in on Tuesday 3rd August at TYTO GALLERY between 10 am – 4 pm. If OWN CHOICE WORK is not submitted on time, the competitor will be disqualified.
- FAXED COPIES will not be accepted.
- NO changes will be accepted after the cut-off date.
- Please clearly mark on the top right hand of the first page of the manuscript as follows:
- Age Groups – Age Groups for all sections will be determined by the committee after the receipt of entries.
- Original copies of material must be collected from the foyer table, immediately after the completion of the section.
- No BACKING TRACKS TO BE USED FOR ANY VOCAL OR INSTRUMENTAL SECTION OTHER THAN ‘POP VOCAL’.
- Popular vocal solo – Please advise on nomination the type of accompaniment you will be using. Eg backing track, piano accompaniment.
- IF UNABLE TO COMPETE ON THE DAY OF PERFORMANCE – PLEASE NOTIFY THE COMMITTEE A.S.A.P. No section will be held up waiting for performers.
Vocal and Instrumental – Sections
- CLASSICAL PIANO SOLO – [Composed before 1900]
- PIANO SOLO – 20th/21st Century (including Jazz, Blues, Boogie, Ragtime)
- WOODWIND/BRASS SOLO – Non-electric (includes Recorders)
- UKELELE SOLO
- GUITAR SOLO – Non-electric
- BOWED STRINGS SOLO – Composed before 1900
- BOWED STRINGS SOLO – 20th/21st Century (including Jazz, Blues etc.)
- ELECTRIC GUITAR SOLO
- PERCUSSION SOLO (Tuned or Untuned)
- SOLO FOR ANY OTHER INSTRUMENT
- J.S. BACH SOLO – Any instrument. Secondary
- PIANO DUETS
- INSTRUMENTAL DUETS – Two players – Any instrumental combination including piano
- INSTRUMENTAL TRIO – Three players – Any instrumental combination
- INSTRUMENTAL ENSEMBLE – 4 to 8 performers
- INSTRUMENTAL ENSEMBLE – 9 performers or above.
- POPULAR VOCAL SOLO – Composed from 1980 onwards – Use of microphone is compulsory. Accompaniment may be either CD/USB, piano or guitar. Please advise on nomination form accompaniment choice. Competitors are responsible for organising their own form or mode of accompaniment, keeping in mind the set-up time of 1 minute. The committee will not be responsible for any equipment used. Music score, not lyrics only must be submitted with own choice.
Other Vocal and Choral Sections (excluding Folksong) – piano accompaniment only.
- SACRED VOCAL SOLO – Own choice.
- VOCAL SOLO – from any A.B.C. Songbook (costumes optional)
- VOCAL SOL0 – AUSTRALIAN COMPOSER Classical/Art Song, not Contemporary Works
- VOCAL SOLO FROM ANY FILM, MUSICAL, MUSICAL COMEDY/OPERETTA – To be performed in costume
- VOCAL DUO
- CHORAL PRIMARY CHOIRS – SMALL SCHOOLS – (A School having up to 60 students)
- CHORAL PRIMARY CHOIRS -VOCAL PRIMARY GROUP – 4 to 12 voices
- CHORAL PRIMARY CHOIRS – UNISON
- CHORAL PRIMARY CHOIRS- TWO/THREE PART
- CHORAL PRIMARY CHOIRS – FOLKSONG – (Definition of Folksong from Grove Dictionary, p.693 vol.6 -“Folksong music being from rudimentary beginnings by a community uninfluenced by popular and art music and it can likewise be applied to music which has originated with an individual composer and has subsequently been absorbed into the unwritten living tradition of a community.”) Simple props, costumes and movement optional. Choral Primary Folksong may be sung unaccompanied, accompanied by piano or any combination of traditional instruments.
- CHORAL SECONDARY CHOIRS – FOLKSONG
- CHORAL SECONDARY CHOIRS – UNISON
- CHORAL SECONDARY CHOIRS -TWO/THREE PART